Tuesday, April 07, 2009

All kinds of sports at Sri Aurobindo International Centre of Education in Puducherry

Features: Magazine Literary Review Life Metro Plus Open Page Education Plus Book Review Business SciTech NXg Friday Review Cinema Plus Young World Property Plus Quest Metro Plus Bangalore Chennai Hyderabad Queen of the sea
Adventurous Chaitanya Datla won the NGC’s docu-reality series “Mission Navy”
Photo: Sampath Kumar G.P. RIDING THE HIGH WAVES Chaitanya Datla The Hindu Tuesday, Apr 07, 2009 Metro Plus Chennai

Life was monotonous for the HR executive, until she decided to seek some adventure. And, Chaitanya Datla went on to challenge her physical, mental and emotional limits to emerge the winner of the National Geographic Channel’s “Mission Nav y: Lehron Ke Sartaj”.
“There were 50,000 civilians who applied for this docu-reality series. Finally, five were chosen. It was not easy, and I had to work really hard for this,” says the 28-year-old, who is said to be the first woman to sail on an Indian Navy warship.
“It’s not about being a man or a woman, but about being an individual who perseveres his / her dreams," she says. “I’ve always had a fascination for adventure and armed forces. I also participated in NGC’s ‘Mission Udaan’ three years ago, reaching the finals.

When I read about Nat Geo’s project, I just applied, and one thing led to another,” says this winner, who had to undergo physical tests, run races, take on stress interviews, underwater rescue missions and tasks, and also do a 10-metre jump!
We had training in the Naval Academy in Goa for three days. Our day would begin at 5 a.m. and goes on till 10.30 p.m.” I have evolved
“Sometimes it was like hell, but I enjoyed every bit of it. Each day was unique, and there was always something new to learn,” says Chaitanya, who sailed for six days and had to jump from a chopper, “do a lot of stunts and firing stuff”.

“It sounds tough, I know, but I thank my school, Sri Aurobindo International Centre of Education in Puducherry. It gave me a chance to try all kinds of sports. I also thank my parents and office for the support.”
The aim of National Geographic Channel was to give the common people a chance, just as the naval force gives viewers a glimpse of the Navy... SHILPA SEBASTIAN R.

No comments:

Post a Comment